I remember when I was in college. I had work study, Section 8 (housing allowance) and food stamps, and all my bills where covered as long as I stayed enrolled for 6 credit hours a semester. I am going back to college. Are there any other income sources I can tap into that are not normally available to someone who is not enrolled?

  • 1
    "Gig economy" income such as Uber, Lyft, Fiverr.com, and 99designs.com are all available whether you're a student or not, but I wanted to mention them. You may be required to be a student in order to assist a professor, but I'm not sure if that provides income or just course credit. – BrettFromLA Jul 24 '17 at 22:21
  • 1
    I presume you will visit college somewhere in the US of A as your profile indicates you are based in Alabama. As legislation and the programs available almost certainly don't apply to other countries and inversely advice form people from Britain, Uganda, New Zealand or Australia or other countries almost certainly would not be relevant to you, I would suggest to give a localisation hint in this post. – Flint Jul 24 '17 at 23:01
  • 1
    Depending on climate, you might qualify for reduced utility bills. – mkennedy Aug 3 '17 at 6:21

I had supplemented my income by offering tutoring help. I knew foreign students who weren't legally allowed to work so all their work was for cash.

It is easier now because of the gig economy and social media. Whatever you are good at doing, just post an ad on Craigslist; say painting or handiman work.

If you can get a desk security job, that has the advantage of getting an income while you can usually study.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.