My situation: I have accumulated high-quality purpose-made knives which are difficult to store due to several factors:
- I have more than a few (23), and some (7) that I use quite often.
- I want them to be handy and accessible.
- Their size varies from small (16 cm) to large (40 cm).
- I have no duplicates. (Well, there's an elderly one that I never use but keep for sentiment.)
- Each one is for a different purpose, (i.e.: paring, bread, frozen foods, cook's knife, carving set, cake, etc.) so their proportions vary.
- There are various wall racks and countertop containers available; but, I don't want them "out" and prefer to keep them in a drawer, somehow. (Edit: Drawer size is 30cm x 50cm x 10cm)
- They are sharp and must be prevented from hitting each other or things that can dull or nick the blade edge.
- I must store them safely.
- Storage space is not unlimited.
The ideal solution would satisfy all my conditions. A great one will meet most of them.