No. When a battery starts to swell, it is broken and CANNOT be used anymore. This is a fire waiting to happen - and Lithium fires are very difficult to extinguish.
it only addresses the symptom (gas forming inside the battery), not the underlying cause (battery is defective).
Warnings saying "Do not pierce this battery" are plastered all over rechargeable batteries for a good reason: Breaking the seal can cause a fire.
What causes battery swelling:
Lithium-ion batteries use a chemical reaction to generate power. As the battery ages, this chemical reaction no longer completes perfectly, which can result in the creation of gas (called out-gassing), leading to a swollen battery. Additionally, if the battery’s internal layers do not maintain proper separation (due to damage or defect), out-gassing, swelling, and even fire can occur. Swelling is the result of particulates getting caught in between the layers of the battery and eventually puncturing the membrane that separate the layers. If the membrane has been compromised, moisture in the air can react with the cell, causing the cell to swell.
Swelling is caused by gas that forms in the battery. This damages the internal structure of the battery.
A battery consists of thin layers of alternating materials. Normally a thin coating separates these layers. When the coating is damaged, a short can occur between layers: the battery will discharge through the short, generating enough heat to start a lithium fire.
When you puncture a battery, you release the gas, and press the layers closer together. You might get away with this initially, but the battery is now a time bomb: the coating is still damaged and a short could happen at any time (for instance, when you charge the battery, it'll heat up and the layers will shift).