When at home I use a bottle to drink water from instead of a glass. For some time - actually, several yaers - I used glass bottles, since:
- they can be reused many more times without involving any serious health risk from chemical substances bleeding into the contained water,
- due to their re-usability, they are not so harmful to the environment, leading to a lower personal carbon footprint,
- they - at least this is what I have found out in these years - keep water cool for longer time during hot days, when compared to plastic bottles,
- they are easier to clean and also do not get that permanent smell as easy as plastic bottles.
However, there were some things that made me reconsider my choice the last months and use plastic bottles as:
- my glass bottles used to get a permanent smell, after some time, that, even after cleaning with vinegar - something I mostly use to clean my water bottles; also suggested in the first answer of this question - was perceivable,
- they also got something like a black rust around the mouthpiece and, more specifically, around the place where the cap of the bottle was placed which was removed by scrathing it with a knife or something similar,
- they were pretty heavy for water bottles, as I tend to use 1-2 lt bottles.
All the above, especially the health risks I might take made me reconsider and start using plastic bottles. However, there are several drawbacks in using such bottles, as:
- they are not that sustainable, so I'm oblidged to buy new bottles quite often which leads in more consuming of plastic, which increases the harm I'm causing to the environment,
- use of plastic bottles poses also several health risks, especially those mentiond in the second answer of this question,
- cleaning them has not provided many results, since they easily get a smell and, moreover, even a day after having them, thoroughly cleaned,
- they are way more vulnerable to exposure to sunlight than glass bottles.
Bearing al these - and whatever may occur - in mind, which of these two types of bottles is the most appropriate for home use? Additionally, are there any other types of water-bottles more suitable for home use and, if there are, how do they relate with the abovementioned issues (eco-friendly, low-to-zero health-risks, easy cleaning, long-lasting etc)? Any scientific results are also welcome!
Thanks in beforehand for your time! :)