Some paper crafts require folding and then cutting in shapes. The problem is that the unwanted folds remain visible. Assuming that the paper can be opened fully, what should be done to remove the fold marks on the paper?

  • 1
    you could maybe fold it many more times so it gives the paper nice naturalish texture? – CRABOLO Jan 5 '15 at 11:53

You can iron it with not very hot iron (not to burn the paper). Another trick is to put it under some heavy books for several days.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes. The fold marks will still be visible, but you really can't fix that. Ironing is the way to go. – J. Musser Jan 5 '15 at 13:31
  • Adding slight amounts of water also helps when you iron, but always add pressure when drying. Iron by covering the paper to protect the paper. – Pobrecita Mar 23 '15 at 10:30

If you are looking for a faster but not as effective way to smooth out paper, you can run the paper over the edge of a desk. (Pretend like the paper is a string and the edge of the desk is a pulley wheel) The rollers in printers also use the this principle.

| improve this answer | |

If it's an A4 size paper, it's very easy to remove the wrinkles. Keep the paper on a printer's tray. Open MS Word and make a printout (ensure the MS Word file is blank). That makes the wrinkled paper to go through the printer and all its wrinkles will go away.

| improve this answer | |
  • Surely you would have to run a sheet of paper through a printer several hundred times for that to work. – Chenmunka May 10 '19 at 11:07
  • If the paper is wrinkled a bit too much or if the printer is very sensitive this is the way to get the paper jam in the printer, often ruining the paper. – Willeke May 19 '19 at 11:05

The paper fibres are broken. The damage is one-way. There's no going back once the damage is done.

But while you can't remove folds or wrinkles from a sheet of paper, you can leave wrinkles and folds behind.

Make a pattern by folding, wrinkling, cutting, etc. Then, use that original as a pattern to trace onto flat, unwrinkled, and clean unfolded paper for the final finished product.

| improve this answer | |
  • Stan, when you post an answer that covers what you posted in a comment before, can you please delete that comment at the same time? – Willeke May 19 '19 at 11:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.