There is a robin that sits on the fence and then flies into the window repeatedly. This happens every day at dawn and dusk, and sometimes in the afternoon. I am pretty sure it sees itself in the reflection, believes it to be another male, and wants to remove it from its territory.
Needless to say, this is not only annoying for me, but I’d like to prevent the robin from hurting itself. Here is what we have tried so far:
- A plastic owl to scare it away
- Thick wire grating that we randomly found on our property to make it hard to ram into the window
- Masking tape on the window (both blue and tan) to make it “obvious” the reflection isn’t real
- Taping paper on the inside to make the reflection less pronounced
- Hanging a bath towel to outright block the reflection
None of this has really worked. The grate just acts as something to perch on as it bangs against the window.
To make matters worse, there is a second window (nears where the below picture was taken) that the robin ALSO started to bang into this year.
Short of completely covering the window from the outside, is there any advice to deter the robin that is easy enough to engineer on two different windows?