A lot of jeans in different colors I've bought over the last few years got faded lines after washing. The lines appear directly after washing, and also stay when ironed. I've tried most tips I found on the internet, without success, including:
- washing them at a lower temperature (below 40°C)
- air drying, not tumble drying them
- washing them inside out
- washing them with as few spin cycles as possible
- buying higher-quality jeans
- using (or not using) fabric softener, dryer balls, washing powder/liquid, etc.
The only two things that have some effect are ironing them immediately after washing, and rubbing the fabric against itself in the hope of transferring some dye to the faded lines. This does not really address the root cause of the fading though, which is what I would like to find out.
What am I doing wrong? If it's a problem with the washing machine, it might be useful to find out what to look out for when exchanging/fixing it.