I second the solution for electrolysis. The only problem with that is you need a good voltage source of at least 4 volts (12 would be better), or a current source of at least 1 amp. It will be very slow if your power is limited. And I wouldn't bother finding the cleaners that are suggested on the internet. If you are doing one job, use whatever you have at home. Anything from baking soda to lye is acceptable. (For reference, 0.5% concentration of lye in water does not cause significant irritation to your skin, at least not in a short time. You can search online for "naoh irritant concentration" for more information.)
If you find this slow process annoying, you can pickle it with an acid. HCl is cheap and available. Soak it in HCl for a while, quickly rinse it and get it covered in a dilute base to neutralize the remaining acid, rinse it in water, and scrub it with a wire brush. Dry it at a high temperature, but I don't advise using a flame.
With either process, it will rust as you're wire-brushing it before it dries, but the bigget danger is leaving acid on it in the open air for more than a few moments.