A lot of the wooden furniture in my house has scratches on them and over time, they've gotten more and more visible. I've thought about painting over the scratches, but I don't know how good that would look and I don't have paint the color of the wood anyway. How can I cover up scratches on wooden furniture using only things that I would have in my house?
There are several options for fixing scratches on wood
- Use a walnut - break open a walnut, so its meat is exposed. Gently rub the walnut back and forth across the scratch. The oil will naturally fill in the scratched area
- Black Tea - put black tea bag in a cup and pour 2 or 3 tablespoons over it. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes; the longer it sits, the darker the color. Dip a cotton swab in the tea, then dab it on the scratch
- Get a wax stick that is the same color as the furniture (you can also blend different colors if you need to)
- Fill in the scratch until its slightly overfilled
- Scrape off the extra wax on top with a credit card or some other type of card
- Clean off any excess wax around the now filled-in scratch with a cloth or towel