I mean the sponge grip on a sport equipment, only for my own use. Will there be a lot of bacteria in it? If so, how should I clean it?
What is the sponge wrapped around?
If it wrapped around metal or plastic, then washing can be an easy step.
If it is wrapped around wood, then you should avoid moisture as much as possible. Eventually, if the grip is removable, you might want to wrap the wood with some plastic foil, for protection.
- water and soap, rinse after;
- any liquid disinfectants; you might want to ask at a local pharmacy; some disinfectants might leave odors (e.g. alcohol based), others might damage the materials in some way (e.g. hydrogen peroxide);
- UV-C light; you should be able to purchase, at least from the internet, a small UV-C lamp for disinfection - the kind that is used even by hospitals. Place the grip under that light for 30 - 60 min. Be sure to expose all areas to the light.
"Completely" avoid "contamination"
- wrap the grip with some plastic foil (e.g. kitchen wrapping foil), so your hand does not get in contact with the grip; replace the plastic wrap occasionally.
Lower the rate at which the grip gets contaminated
- you probably already do it, but just in case: wash your hands immediately before touching the grip. In that way, there is less bacteria to be transferred to the sponge.