Eager to get my room squeaky clean, I accidently (stupidly) sprayed bleach (the one used to whiten clothes, NaClO I think) all over the marble floor and then sprinkled water (with hand) before cleaning it all with a squeegee.

While cleaning my eyes started to burn (mild), air started to smell like acid, and I felt extra moist inside my nose. So I quickly opened all windows and doors, turned on the fan and left the room.

Now, how do I de-acidify the room? I feel strange when I enter the room right now.
Also, bleach has made the floor very very slippery, what can I do to undo this effect (preferably without water)?

I just noticed, standing on bleach+water mix cured my cracked heels a lot.

Edit: I hope this question is suitable for Lifehacks.SE, if not please migrate where appropriate

  • It's not acid, but alkali and Cl2, that are the issue. Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 2:25

1 Answer 1


You can either rinse the floor with fresh water repeatedly working in a small area at a time (until "slippery" feeling from bleach is gone) or neutralize the sodium hypochlorite in the bleach with a Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

Bleach neutralizing solution: Use 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide to 10 parts water.

You might want to wear rubber gloves for your hands and eye protection for unintentional splashes.

Good luck.

  • Can you please write the equation involved so others can be sure that hydrogen peroxide will really neutralize bleach
    – RinkyPinku
    Commented Apr 10, 2019 at 22:22
  • 2
    NaOCl + H202 > NaCl + H20 + 02 (numbers are subscripted)
    – Stan
    Commented Apr 10, 2019 at 23:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.