I'm currently renting a studio apartment basically a single room apartment with only one window and I'm having a really difficult time sleeping during this hot summer (Live in Vancouver) because my studio feels like its like 5-10 degrees hotter than outside with no fresh air.
The lay-out is essentially the following (I copied a similar layout from another question but they lived in a 2-story apartment)
|————————————————————————| | / door / window door ————————-| | | bath | | | room | |———————————————————————-|
To make things worse, my window is fairly small crank/hinge type window that opens from the top into my apartment. The opening is approximately 13'' tall and 4' wide. Here's front-view:
|H-----------------H| H = where the hinges are |window opens out | |-------------------| | | | | | Glass | | v
I'm wondering what my options are for cooling down my apartment.
Stuff I've done:
- Open my door to the lobby and blow air in using a tower fan (But I'm not willing to do this at night)
- Put my fan right beside me (works okay but at some point it's just blowing hot air towards)
- Already blocking sunlight using white poster paper layered with aluminum foil
Stuff I haven't tried and would like to get your opinions:
- Get a portable AC (unsure about single hose or double hose)
- What happens if I run the AC in fan-mode? What about a double hose AC in fan mode?
- Get some type of window fans that blow air in alternating directions to get circulation
- Possibly get a ceiling fan? (I don't know if it's possible in a rental apartment...)
Stuff I would prefer not to do:
Would really appreciate any thoughts or comments about my options here...